- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 7 hr
- Total: 7 hr 15 min
- Serving: 6
Sounds fancy, looks impressive, but simple to prepare, especially with a slow cooker. Spirals of lean round steak and colorful vegetables are cooked in a flavorful tomato sauce that will pair well with baked polenta, cooked orzo, or a slice of crusty bread.
- Roulade Filling:
- Â½ cup grated carrot (about 1 large)
- Â½ cup grated zucchini or yellow squash (about 1 medium)
- 1 (4 ounce) red bell pepper, seeded, cut into matchsticks
- Â½ cup finely chopped shallots (about 3 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Â¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Â¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch salt or to taste
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) jar or 2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the roulade filling ingredients:
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 6 even slices.
- Place slices in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until each slice to ? to Â¼ inch thickness.
- Uncover and spoon vegetable filling (about ? cup) down center of each flattened piece of meat, leaving a Â¼ inch border on all sides.
- Roll meat up around filling and tie ends with string or secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high.
- Transfer meat rolls to skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes on all sides until browned.
- Carefully place meat rolls in a 3 Â½ to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Evenly cover meat rolls with sauce and cover cooker. Cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Discard string or toothpicks.