- Prep: 1 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 2 hr 10 min
- Serving: 4
Perfect for holiday meals, these eye-of-round steaks are seasoned with a salt-free blend of garlic and herbs, braised until tender, and topped with an easy-mix sauce enhanced with toasted almonds.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement.
- 4 boneless eye-of-round steaks (4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning blend
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup fat-free, no-salt-added beef broth
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce or 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning blend
- Season both sides of the steaks evenly with 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning blend.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steaks for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
- If needed, add water 1/4 cup at a time to keep the steaks from sticking.
- If desired, reserve 1/2 to 2/3 cup cooking liquid to spoon over the steaks before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, dry-roast the whole almonds over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to the work bowl of a food processor and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In the same skillet, dry-roast the sliced almonds for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a small plate and set aside.
- Process the whole almonds for 1 to 2 minutes, or until finely ground.
- Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir in the cranberry sauce or sour cream, horseradish, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning blend until well combined.
- To serve, spoon the reserved pan liquid over each steak.
- Top each with about 2 tablespoons sauce.
- Garnish with the almond slices.