- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 12
Try reinventing the classic Boston Cream Pie recipes to make cupcakes for your next gathering!
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 9 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- To make filling, whisk 1/4 cup milk with cornstarch until smooth. Whisk in 3 egg yolks.
- Pour 3/4 cup milk in a small pot and mix in 1/3 cup sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- Take pot off of heat and slowly pour half of the mixture into the egg mixture, stirring the whole time.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pot and bring to a boil, stirring continually so the eggs don't scramble.
- Take pot off of heat and stir in 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon mixture into a bowl and chill until cool and thick.
- To make cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Combine flour with baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in one bowl. In another bowl, combine 1-1/4 cups sugar with the seeds of the vanilla bean.
- Beat 10 tablespoons butter with vanilla sugar mixture until combined.
- Beat in 6 egg yolks, 2 at a time then gradually beat in flour mixture and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared cupcake tin. Spoon filling on top of batter and then pour the rest of the batter on top of the filling.
- Bake cupcakes 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool while making frosting.
- Add cream to a pot and heat. Take pot off of heat and stir in chocolate until melted and well combined.
- Let cool for a few minutes then drizzle chocolate over cooled cupcakes. Chill until ready to serve.