- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 6 People
If you've never had or made pineapple upside down cake before, this is the perfect recipe for you. It has all of the traditional ingredients associated with this cake, like pineapple slices, tart cherries and moist cake plus one delicious and boozy extra, spiced rum! The addition of the rum gives this cake just the right amount of spice and depth without being too overpowering. Serve this up at your next dinner party or bring to the office for a cake everyone will demand more of!
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 pieces sliced pineapple
- 6 black (or maraschino cerries)
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides of a 2.5-quart baking dish.
- In the baking dish, pour butter so it evenly covers the bottom. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter to cover it. Place the pineapple slices down on top of the brown sugar so they sit side by side. Place a cherry in the middle of each slice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, rum, milk and egg together. Add in a dash of salt. Pour mixture over the pineapples until they are covered by batter.
- Bake cake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately flip the cake onto a cake plate so the pineapple side is up. Serve warm and enjoy!