- Prep: 12 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 12 hr 15 min
- Serving: Makes 20 Servings
This is the original 1694 recipe with the exact proportions the English government mandated Bombay punch houses follow when making punch with Goa Arak .
- 2 cups Demerara or turbinado sugar
- 7 cups water
- 12 limes, juiced
- 16 ounces Batavia arrack
- 1 quart dark rum
- Grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Place the sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until all of the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Transfer the sugar mixture to a bowl and add the lime juice, Batavia arrack, the rum and the remaining water and stir to combine.
- Place the mixture into the refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Transfer the punch to a punch bowl with ice and top with grated nutmeg.