- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 2
Instead of munching on the bacon-heavy white bread BLT from the local diner, satisfy your yen with this bold, vegetable packed version.
- Basil Mayonnaise
- Â¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 4 fresh basil leaves, rolled and cut very thinly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sandwich Filling
- 4 (16 grams each) slices of low-sodium bacon
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- Â½ small red onion, sliced thin
- Â½ small cucumber, sliced (seeded if preferred)
- 4 large leaves of red leaf lettuce
- 4 thin slices of whole grain bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the basil mayonnaise ingredients and set aside:
- Place bacon in an unheated skillet (this will reduce bacon shrinkage), turn burner to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes or until desired crispness, turning frequently.
- Immediately remove from skillet, drain and blot with paper towels.
- Alternatively, place bacon on paper towels or a microwave bacon cooker and cook for 2 Â½ to 3 Â½ minutes or until desired doneness.
- Set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of basil mayonnaise on each piece of toasted bread.
- Layer tomato, onion, and cucumber slices evenly on two pieces of bread.
- Place two pieces of bacon on each stack, cover with lettuce leaves, and top with remaining slices of toasted bread.