- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 8 as a side dish
A combination of fresh lettuce, tomatoes and basil are tossed with croutons toasted in bacon drippings and drizzled with a bright-tasting vinaigrette.
- 1 French baguette
- 6 ounces bacon (about 9 slices)
- 6 cups lettuce
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Cut the baguette into 1/2-inch pieces to form croutons and then set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, and then remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble once cool enough to handle.
- Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings and then place the croutons into the pan with the bacon fat; toss to coat and cook for 4 minutes until toasted and golden in color. Set the pan aside.
- Place the reserved bacon fat into a bowl with the olive oil, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, pepper and a pinch of salt. Whisk the mixture vigorously to blend.
- Put the croutons, lettuce, tomatoes, basil and crumbled bacon into a large salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.