- Prep: 2 hr 20 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 2 hr 20 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6
Black eyed peas are healthy, delicious and make a great salad like this one with mixed herbs and olive oil.
- 1 pound black eye peas, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus to drizzle
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 5 teeth of garlic, minced
- 3 celery stocks, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Place the beans in a big bowl, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the soaked beans and rinse well with cooled water.
- Place the olive oil into a soup pot over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the black eyes peas, 2 quarts of water, red pepper and all of the herbs excluding the parsley. Simmer the mixture, partially covered, for 2 hours and 10 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the peas and the herbs from the pot and place into a serving bowl. Add the parsley, a few pinches of salt to taste and then drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil.