- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 4-6 People
This black bean soup and cornbread should feed 6 people, making it a cheap dinner that tastes delicious. Purchase store brand or discounted ingredients for a meal price totaling less than six dollars—a perfect $1 dinner idea.
- Inexpensive box of cornbread mix, choose one that only calls for water
- 2, 15-ounce cans of black beans
- 1, 15-ounce can of chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 2-ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Fresh salsa (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Garlic (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Cumin (to taste)
- Cooking oil
- Make cornbread according to instructions on the box of cornbread mix; consider making muffins instead of traditional cornbread – this will more obviously separate servings and make your mix go further.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onions and add garlic, salt, and cumin to the pan.
- Add 1 can of black beans and the can of chicken broth to the pot, stirring thoroughly.
- Let the mixture heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently
- Turn off heat and use a hand mixer to blend the mixture into a creamier texture.
- Add the second can of black beans to the pot and heat over medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
- Serve black bean soup and cornbread, providing sour cream, salsa, and cheese as optional toppings.