- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Makes 1 cake
This black and white cake is the perfect mouthwatering merge between chocolate and vanilla. As a bonus, black and white desserts showcase perfectly for black tie events or other elegant evening affairs. Serve them at your next evening soiree.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1, 1-ounce square unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, diluted with 3/4 cup ice water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1, 1-ounce square unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops of pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- To make the cake, beat together brown sugar, butter, and eggs in a bowl until creamy. Mix in melted chocolate. Gradually add in flour, buttermilk, diluted baking soda, and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13-inch floured baking pan and place in a cold oven. Begin heating oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small pan over low heat, combine ingredients for chocolate icing using enough cream to reach a spreadable consistency. Remove from heat. Combine ingredients for white icing in a double boiler, heat and stir until smooth and spreadable. Beat white icing mixture until it is fluffy.
- Invert cake onto a square cake board or plate and spread both icings over cake in a black and white design of your choice.