- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: Serves 4
This black and green bean barley salad is filled with fiber and nutrients that make it all the more delicious!
- 2 15-ounce. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup barley (not quick-cooking)
- 6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, cooked al dente (alternatively, you may also use a 1 pound bag of frozen green beans, defrosted)
- In a large saucepan combine the barley with 4 cups boiling salted water and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, or until it is cooked but still al dente. Drain the barley in a colander, rinse, and drain well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- In a large bowl combine the black beans, the barley, green beans and the onion, add the dressing, and toss the salad until it is well combined.
- The salad may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.