- Prep: 35 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 5 min
- Serving: 12
A large bowl of Beefy Vegetable Soup will chase the winter chill away.
- 8 pounds crosscut beef shanks
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1, 28 ounce can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen lima beans
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen corn
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen peas
- In a very large kettle over high heat, heat beef shanks, 2 tablespoons salt and 10 cups hot water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Stir in frozen vegetables and 2 teaspoons salt; continue cooking about 30 minutes until meat and vegetables are fork tender.