- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr
- Total: 2 hr 25 min
- Serving: 6
Beef Stew with Walnuts is flavorful and hearty.
- 2 pounds lean stew beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of marjoram
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 ounces walnut halves
- Brown meat on all sides in iron skillet in hot corn oil. Add onions, garlic and salt to taste. Brown onions lightly. Transfer meat to a Dutch oven. Place over medium heat, add flour; stir well. Add thyme, marjoram, red wine and beef broth. Simmer for 1 hour, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, celery and green pepper; stir carefully with rubber spatula. Simmer 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Check and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Spoon beef stew into serving dish and sprinkle with walnuts.