- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr
- Total: 2 hr 20 min
- Serving: 8 Servings
This easy recipe can be made a day ahead and can be served with over-roasted potatoes, carrots or a side dish of your choice.
- 4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil, and sear meat in the center of the pan for 4 minutes. Flip meat over with tongs and sear all sides for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove meat from Dutch oven.
- Place garlic, onion and 1 bay leaf in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return meat to pan, place second bay leaf on top of meat, and cover.
- Cook meat in the oven for 30 minutes at 325 F and then lower the temperature to 300 F and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- When finished, move roast to a platter and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.