- Prep: 45 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Total: 2 hr 30 min
- Serving: 4
Beef in Hearty Ale is a substantial dinner when served with baked potatoes.
- 1 pound round steak, cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 pint strong ale
- freshly ground pepper
- Cook vegetables in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a casserole dish.
- Toss the beef cubes in flour and saute until brown over a high heat, adding remaining oil. Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour over the tomato puree mixed with ale, seasonings and herbs. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees F.
- Remove bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.