- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr
- Total: 3 hr 20 min
- Serving: 6
You can use ground beef or a lean steak cut up in bite size pieces.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes and the juice
- 1 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts along with the juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a skillet cook ground beef and onions over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. Drain.
- Mix beef mixture and remaining ingredients, except frozen mixed vegetables.
- Place in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 2 hours.
- Stir in mixed vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low 3 more hours or until barley is done.