- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
A traditional pasta alfredo recipe, Beef and Vegetable Alfredo gets a makeover by lowering the fat and adding veggies and protein.
- 8 ounces of linguini
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 2 ounces of low-fat swiss cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces of lean flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves, packed
- 1 small zucchini, cut into matchstick slices
- 2 cups of frozen peas, thawed
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Cook the linguini according to the instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- Using the pot the linguini was cooked in over medium heat, add the 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the garlic. Cook until the garlic turns golden (about 2 minutes). Add the flour and cook for 2 more minutes, and mash the garlic with the back of your spoon, forming a thick paste. Add the milk and whisk together. Bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the cheese and remove from the heat. Set the mixture to the side.
- Coat a large skillet with the olive oil cooking spray. Season the steak with salt and lemon zest. Add it to the skillet and cook, stirring, over high heat for 1-2 minutes until the steak begins to brown.
- Add the vegetables and cook until the spinach wilts and the steak is cooked through (about 2 minutes).
- Toss the steak and vegetable mixture with the linguine and serve immediately. Garnish with the basil.