- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 hr
- Total: 10 hr 20 min
- Serving: 8
The dark molasses in this recipe give this dish a wonderful taste.
- 1 lb. dried pinto beans
- 6 c. water
- 3 lbs. round roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- Â½ c. dark molasses
- 2 tsp. salt
- Â½ tsp. ground ginger
- Â½ tsp. dry mustard
- Â¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans under running water, place in a large kettle with water; bring to boiling; cover kettle; lower heat; cook 15 minutes; let stand 1 hours.
- Trim all excess fat from beef; brown meat on all sides in remaining fat in a large skillet.
- Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker; add beans and liquid, onion, molasses, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add more water, if needed to cover meat and beans; cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stir beans, adding more liquid if needed to keep beans and meat covered.
- Turn heat control to low and cook for 8 hours, or until beans are very tender and liquid is absorbed. Taste and season with a spoonful of hot prepared mustard, if you wish.
- Remove meat to a carving board and cut into slices; spoon beans around beef on platter.