- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A great way to get fiber-rich beans into your diet, this side dish can also be made with black-eyed peas or navy beans.
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounces cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the ham and cook until browned. Remove ham from pan and set aside.
- Place the onion and garlic into the pan and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Place the beans, ham, onion mixture, chopped sweet pepper, mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, and crushed red pepper in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours to allow flavors to blend. Reheat the mixture prior to serving.