- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 10 min
- Serving: Makes about 1-1/2 cups
The addition of lemon in this classic pesto adds a citrusy freshness that other pesto recipes lack. Make sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (packed into measuring cup)
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Place the basil and the garlic into a food processor and process until the mixture is finely chopped.
- With the motor running, slowly pour the oil down the processor flute, stopping to scrape the sides when necessary.
- Add the pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice to the processor and pulse until pesto reaches desired consistency.
- Season the pesto to taste with salt and pepper and pulse again to combine.