- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Makes 1 loaf
Quick breads are just as the name implies—quick to make. Leavened with baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast, quick breads can be ready in an hour (or less) and are just as homey as their yeasty counterparts.
Think about banana bread and corn bread, both delicious quick breads. Breakfast treats such a biscuits, muffins, pancakes, and scones also technically fall into the quick bread category. But there's something about the home-baked goods that come in a loaf format—something yummy.
This basic recipe is great for experimentation. You can alter the ingredients every time you make it for a fresh flavor experience. Before you get started, here are some suggestions for additions:
- Chopped, dried apricots and almonds
- Dried apples
- Dried blueberries
- Dried cranberries and cashews
- Dried mango and macadamia nuts
- Dried cherries and walnuts
- 1/2 to 1 cup dried fruit and nuts, fruits slightly reconstituted with boiling water or hot fruit juice, drained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (you may use a mixture of white and wheat if you'd like)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, honey, canola oil, and egg until well blended. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and bring together with swift but gentle strokes. Try not to over mix.
- Add the dried fruits and nuts until just combined. Scrape into the loaf pan. Bake about 50 minutes. A cake tester should come out clean. Allow to cool a few minutes before turning out of the pan. Finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Dinner Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Family Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Easter Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Mardi Gras Recipes, New Year's Recipes, Passover Recipes, St. Patrick's Day Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes