- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: Serves 6 to 8
It is important to note that although barley is not a wheat product, it still contains a form of gluten that may or may not bother those with an intolerance.
- 1 cup raw pearl barley
- 1 cup red pepper, diced (about 1 pepper)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh, cooked corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- Cook the barley according to package directions and then set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, combine the vinegar, garlic and oil in a bowl by whisking vigorously to blend.
- Once cool, place the barley into a large bowl and then add the red pepper, corn, zucchini, red onion, basil, parsley, mint and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the mixture and then toss gently to combine.