- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 6
Barley Casserole is a great side dish served with chicken or pork.
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup pearl barley, cooked
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- Heat butter in a skillet and add onion. Cook 3-4 minutes and add mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and brown lightly, mixing well with onions and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into buttered casserole. Add enough boiling broth to cover and 1/2 inch above it.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.