- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A great compliment to chicken or lamb, this light side dish is both delicious and healthy. Enjoy year round as a side to your favorite meals.
- 1-3/4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Box uncooked White and Wild rice mix including spice packet
- 1/2 Cup uncooked Pearl Barley
- 3/4 Cup rinsed and drained Garbanzo Beans
- 1/3 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1/4 Cup sliced Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- 3 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds- Toasted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth, box of rice and the barley and bring to a boil.
- Once the ingredients are boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice mixture sit for 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the garbanzo beans, raisins, red and green onions and the cooled rice mixture. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper; pour the vinaigrette over the rice mixture and gently toss again. Place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Before serving, sprinkle on the basil and almonds.