- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A vegetarian pearled barley and fresh green bean soup enhanced with carrots, celery, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Ladle hot into bowls and serve with some hearty peasant bread and a bottle of American Pinot Noir.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 zucchini, cut in quarters
- 10 cherry tomatoes, divided in half
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 1 cup fresh borlotti beans, removed from pods and preboiled for 20 min
- Place the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, celery, rosemary, bay leaves, lemon juice and white wine and cook the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the barley, zucchini and tomatoes and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes before stirring in the green and borlotti beans and simmering for 10 minutes more.
- Remove the bay leaves from the mixture and discard. Season the soup to taste with some salt and pepper and then serve immediately.