- Prep: 3 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 30 min
- Serving: 8 servings
Delicious and healthy Australian lamb and pesto with vegetables on the side.
- 1 Australian lamb leg, boneless, butterflied and trimmed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano, dry
- 2 teaspoons basil, dry
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 pint of portabella mushrooms
- 24 asparagus spears
- 1⁄3 cup dry roasted or blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons of soft goat or feta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 red peppers, halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Whisk together the red wine and half of the extra virgin olive oil, as well as the chopped garlic, oregano, basil, salt and ground pepper. Pour the mixture over lamb, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, preferably overnight. Turn lamb once while marinating.
- Preheat your barbecue to medium heat. Place lamb directly on rack and close hood. Turn lamb once, grilling for about ten to 15 minutes per side until it reaches your desired internal temperature. Remove to a platter and tent with foil.
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil and grill until tender and gently browned.
- Make pesto by placing the almonds, parsley, basil, juice and remaining olive oil in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Add the cheese and pulse just until combined. Serve pesto alongside lamb and grilled vegetables.