- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 4
Cool your palate with a fast and frosty blend of bananas and coconut milk. This faux ice cream, inspired by Sally Schneider's recipe in A New Way To Cook, tastes sublime despite the absence of heavy cream and sugar.
- 1 pound unpeeled very ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- Â½ cup lite coconut milk or vanilla flavored soymilk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon spiced rum or vanilla extract
- Â¼ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Â¼ cup shaved semi-sweet chocolate or miniature chocolate morsels
- Peel the bananas and cut into Â½ inch slices.
- Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- In a food processor or blender, puree frozen banana until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides occasionally.
- With motor running, slowly add milk, sugar, and rum or vanilla extract.
- Process until mixture has the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of toasted coconut.