- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 12
Moist and irresistible, these morning muffins are worth waking up for. Compared to muffins studded rich with chocolate morsels and nuts, this recipe uses chopped walnuts and miniature chocolate chips as a topping, satisfying your need for sweetness with fewer calories and fat.
- Dry Ingredients
- Sift the following ingredients into a large bowl:
- 1 Â¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Â¼ cup brown sugar, firm packed
- 3 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- Â¼ cup fine chopped walnuts
- Â¼ cup miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a 12-inch muffin pan.
- Prepare dry ingredients.
- In another large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar on medium speed using an electric mixer (stand-up or hand held) until light and fluffy.
- Mix in one egg at a time until smooth.
- Add mashed bananas and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just moist.
- Fill muffin cups.
- Combine walnuts and chocolate chips and sprinkle over the top of batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and muffin top springs back.
- Let muffins cool and wrap individually with plastic wrap or store in a sturdy airtight container.