- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 8
How can you resist baked ziti? This healthier version features ground turkey instead of sausage and will surely become a favorite.
- 1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded fresh part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, cook ground turkey with onion and garlic. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cooked pasta, turkey mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.