- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Makes 12
These savory biscuits have a rich and smoky flavor with a hint of tang from the cheddar cheese. Slather with butter and serve warm right out of the oven.
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices
- 3-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1-3/4 cups chilled buttermilk
- Place an oven rack on the upper third level of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over high heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and chop into small pieces.
- Using a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the butter and pulse for 30 seconds until the mixture becomes coarse and crumbly.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and stir in the cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and chopped bacon. Slowly pour in the buttermilk until mixture becomes a sticky dough.
- Rub some flour onto hands and place about 1/2 cup of batter for each biscuit onto baking pan. Space biscuit batter approximately 2 inches apart.
- Place biscuits in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a biscuit tests clean.