- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4
Adapted from a recipe by John Barkley for The Culinary Institute of America and the Produce for Better Health Foundation, this is a healthy, filling salad with many wonderful tastes and textures.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup seeded, diced cucumber
- 2 cups seeded, diced tomato
- 1 cup white kidney beans (canned)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups diced avocado
- 24 Belgium endive leaves
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Add the onions, garlic and oregano, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Pour quinoa onto a sheet pan in one layer to cool. Once cool, transfer quinoa to a bowl and add the cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, onions, mint, jalapeno and cilantro, tossing to combine.
- Season with lime juice and gently fold in the avocado. Serve with endive.