- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Serving: 6-8 Servings
A decadent side dish that pairs well with almost any main course meal; use Gruyere cheese for extra-rich taste.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2-1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Dots of butter
- 1-1/4 cups grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic all over the inside of a 12-inch baking dish and allow to dry.
- Coat the dish with the softened butter and set aside.
- Place the potatoes, milk, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes and then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Press down on the potatoes and evenly spread them out in the dish. Sprinkle the mixture with the bread crumbs and cheese and then dot with butter.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for 1 hour.