- Prep: 4 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 46 min
- Total: 4 hr 56 min
- Serving: Makes 1-2/ cup
This incredibly satisfying Asian-inspired roasted eggplant dip is surprisingly fat-free. Serve with a side of baked pita chips or toasted pita bread.
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 small)
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the eggplant onto a baking sheet and pierce a few times with a knife. Place the eggplant into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside unitl cool enough to handle.
- Cut the eggplant in half, remove the pulp and place in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté the eggplant for 6 minutes, stirring frequently, and then place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Process the mixture until smooth and then transfer to a bowl.
- Cover the eggplant spread and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill prior to serving.