- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: Marinade for 3 pounds of meat
Blending a mix of aromatic Asian spices with tart green apple creates a unique and well-balanced marinade for poultry and beef.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass (3 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece (1-inch) fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 fresh red finger chile, thinly sliced
- 3 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari or regular soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- Place the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the apple, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, chile, and star anise and sauté the mixture for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the water, tamari, apple juice, vinegar and sugar and then bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 8 minutes before marinating the protein of your choice.