- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 10 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The peppery bite of the arugula pairs exceptionally well with the mildly sweet flavor of the pear in this delicious salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts (walnuts, shaved almonds or cashews)
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 firm red Bartlett pears
- 5 cups butterhead lettuce (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups arugula, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, broth, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until blended.
- Cut the pears into thin slices and place in a large salad bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette to the bowl and toss with the pears until coated.
- Add the lettuce and arugula to the bowl, and toss with the remaining vinaigrette and the pears.
- Sprinkle the shaved Parmesan and toasted nuts over the salad and serve.