- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 12 pieces
This recipe for armadillo eggs is one of the best ideas I've seen recently. Spicy bratwurst sausage is molded around a jalapeño pepper stuffed with cream cheese to form an egg.
- 12 jalapeño peppers
- 1 package, 8-ounces cream cheese, softened
- Golden yellow paste food coloring (or yellow food coloring)
- 3 pounds spicy bratwurst sausage, casings removed
- Cut the stem ends off of the jalapeños and use a small knife to cut the seeds out. Keep the peppers whole.
- Put the cream cheese into a small bowl and use a toothpick to add a tiny bit of the paste food coloring (this paste is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way). Mix the coloring thoroughly into the cream cheese. Add more, if you need it to achieve a bright golden color, like the yolk of an egg.
- Transfer the cream cheese to a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the cheese into the jalapeños. (You can make your own pastry bag by using a small zippered plastic bag and snipping off one corner.)
- Divide the sausage into 12 pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk, place a filled jalapeño in the center, and wrap the sausage around it, pressing the edges to seal. Form the sausage into the shape of a large egg.
- Smoke, using indirect heat for 1 1/2 hours at 250 degrees F. Slice to serve. The slices will resemble sliced hard cooked eggs, with the colored cream cheese looking like the yolk.
- Serve with the dressing, if desired.