- Prep: 4 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 4 hr 30 min
- Serving: 10
Apricot Pinwheels add a tangy twist to the cookie tray.
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine apricots and boiling water in a small bowl, and set aside until water is absorbed. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and chop in food processor until it is spreadable.
- Cream butter and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and stir in the almond extract.
- Combine the flour and salt, and add to the creamed mixture. Blend well. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll out half the dough to a 9 by 12 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/2 the apricot mixture. From the 12 inch side roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. To bake, slice rolls into 3/8 inch slices. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.