- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: Makes 12 muffins
Because the apples in this recipe render their juices with the sugar and eggs, a more flavorful muffin is produced.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups packed coarsely grated apples (about 2 medium), with their juice
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts and 12 whole walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, and whisk together to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and the sugar with a fork and then add in the apple and let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour in the butter and then sprinkle in the chopped walnuts. Stir well to combine but do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and top each muffin with a whole walnut. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin tests clean. Let the muffins cool for 3 minutes before serving.