- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 12
Apple Strudel Squares are iced with confectioners' sugar frosting while hot and garnished with chopped pecans.
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 10 apples, pared and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- confectioners' sugar
- chopped pecans
- Sift flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt together. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add enough milk to beaten egg yolks to measure 2/3 cup. Stir into flour mixture to make a smooth dough.
- Roll out half the dough on a floured surface to fit into a jelly roll pan. Place the dough in pan. Sprinkle with corn flake crumbs.
- Combine apples, 1-1/2 cups sugar, raisins and cinnamon in bowl, mixing well. Arrange over corn flakes. Cover with remaining dough, pinching to seal edges.
- Brush with beaten egg whites. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes; reduce heat. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Mix water and confectioners' sugar together to form a smooth icing. Ice strudel while hot and sprinkle with pecans.