- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 8
Bring a sweet end to any meal with a chunky compote topped with tangy plain yogurt. This apple-fig melange is also wonderful spread on whole wheat toast or lowfat muffins and can be paired with ricotta or cottage cheese for a tasty midday snack.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 6 apples, chopped (smaller pieces will cook faster, larger pieces will make a chunkier compote)
- 1 Â½ cups water
- Â¼ cup firm packed brown sugar
- Â¼ cup white sugar
- 10 dried figs, chopped
- 6 cups lowfat plain yogurt
- Tie the cinnamon sticks and cloves in a cheesecloth bag.
- Cut the ends off the oranges and lemon (do not peel). Cut them in half crosswise on a cutting board, lay the cut face down and slice very thinly, discarding seeds.
- Transfer citrus and resulting juice to a medium-sized saucepot and add just enough water to cover.
- Place the bag of cinnamon and cloves in the pot and simmer over medium heat until citrus peel is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and reserve the fruit, discard the cinnamon and cloves.
- Combine the apples, water, figs and citrus in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer until the apples are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sugars, increase heat to medium and bring to a rapid boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- You may want to wear gloves because the mixture will be bubbly and very hot and may pop up onto your hands.
- Remove from heat and keep stirring for a few minutes as the fruit cools slightly.
- The compote is best served warm or at room temperature. Ladle into individual serving dishes and top with yogurt or make a stellar table presentation by layering compote and yogurt in a trifle bowl.