- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Makes 2-1/2 cups
Surprisingly to most, apple butter does not contain any butter. However, because of its name and the fact that it is used as a spread, people assume butter is one of its major ingredients.
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch ginger
- Pinch cloves
- Place the applesauce, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cloves into a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool completely before serving as a spread.