- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 12
Pureed pink beans give Apple Bean Cake its moist texture.
- 1 cup cooked pink beans, pureed
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and continue beating until light. Stir in bean puree and apple butter.
- Sift together in a medium bowl the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Combine flour mixture and bean mixture until blended.
- Mix in diced apples and pour batter into 3, 8 inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees F or until wooden skewer inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes and remove from pans to wire cooling racks. Frost and fill as desired.