- Prep: 3 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 3 hr 30 min
- Serving: 8
Ambrosia Pie sounds like a dream.
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 4 egg yolks
- 1, 6 ounce can frozen juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 4 egg whites
- Beat egg yolks slightly in top of double boiler, add undiluted orange juice concentrate, 1/4 cup of sugar and salt. Place over hot water and cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites with a dash of salt until almost stiff, then gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, beating constantly and continuing to beat until the resulting meringue will hold in firm peaks.
- Fold half the meringue into the orange mixture, then turn into pie shell. Pile remaining meringue around the edge of pie or spread on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 2 to 3 minutes to brown meringue. Spinkle coconut over meringue and return to the oven for 30 seconds. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.