- Prep: 2 hr
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 2 hr 15 min
- Serving: 1 Serving
A creamy yogurt-based beverage sweetened with homemade almond syrup. You can drizzle this syrup over desserts, or add it to cocktails that call for a simple syrup.
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 20 ounces ground almonds
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons bitter almond extract
- 2 oranges, juices
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Place the water in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the almonds to the pot and return to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to completely cool before straining the liquid and returning to the pot.
- Place the almond extract, sugar, bitter almond extract, and orange juice in the pot and bring to a boil. Cook the mixture until it reaches a thick syrup-like consistency. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the almond syrup (refrigerate the rest) and place in a blender with the 3/4 cup of water and the yogurt. Blend until smooth and creamy and serve in a tall glass.