- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 8
Breakfast cakes are a delicious and convenient alternative to elaborate, time-consuming breakfasts. They are also a heartier and healthier option compared to toaster pastries or other pop in the toaster breakfast foods.
Once you have a breakfast cake baked, you can simply slice and serve with fruit and yogurt. Set aside a little time on Sunday to bake one or two breakfast cakes and you’ll have your family well fed in the morning for most of the week. This breakfast cake is studded with nutritious ingredients and comes together in 30 minutes or less.
Heart healthy almonds give this light cake a lovely crunch. Double the recipe and keep a cake handy in the freezer.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, almonds, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together yogurt, butter, eggs, and almond extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into a prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Invert onto a cutting board, slice and serve. If making ahead, invert and allow to cool completely on wire rack.