- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 4
Acorn Squash Filled with Baked Apples is a flavorful and attractive side dish for a harvest dinner.
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- dash each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
- Topping: 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Put the acorn squash, cut side down on a heavily buttered cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, until tender.
- Saute apple wedges in melted butter for 6 minutes. Add brown sugar, rum and spices and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Turn squash over and fill cavity with apple mixture. Bake 10 minutes.
- Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over apples. Bake for 5 minutes or until crumbs are brown.