- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: Makes 6 to 8 servings
This dish combines two very popular Middle Eastern ingredients, rice and lentils. This salad may be served hot or cold as a main dish or as a side dish. It is usually sautéed with lots of onions and served with a light olive oil dressing. Either red lentils or green lentils may be used along with long-grain rice making a delicious and healthy protein packed salad.
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Sauté about 3/4 of the onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown.
- Cook lentils in a covered pot filled with water, making sure water covers lentils. Cook until lentils are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When lentils are cooked, add cooked onions and rice (adding more water if needed to cook rice); season with salt. Cook rice and lentils until rice is fluffy and water is evaporated.
- Meanwhile, sauté remaining onions in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until golden and crispy. Serve crispy onions over the top of the lentils and rice.