- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 3 min
- Total: 3 min
- Serving: Makes 4 to 6 servings
Move over fried green tomatoes, fried summer squash is here! Try this easy and economical fried summer squash recipe for your next picnic.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 egg
- 3 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot; do not allow oil to smoke.
- Meanwhile, combine cornmeal with salt and pepper into one bowl.
- Then whisk milk with egg into a separate bowl.
- Dip squash in milk, then dip in flour mixture, then place in oil.
- Cook squash 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden and fork tender. Remove squash slices and let them drain on paper towels.
- Repeat this process until all squash are cooked. Do not overcrowd skillet while cooking squash.