- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 6 servings
Nothing says "fun" like these classic homemade corn dogs. Who can resist food on a stick?
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups corn meal
- 2/3 plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds hot dogs
- Canola oil for frying
- Whisk milk with eggs, oil, sugar and salt until mixed well. Add the baking powder, cornmeal, and 2/3 cup flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stick popsicle sticks or wooden skewers into one end of each hot dog. Dry the hot dogs with paper towels and dip them in the remaining 1/2 cup flour and shake off excess so only a dusting remains.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a large pot of deep fryer until it is 375 degrees F.
- Pour the batter into a tall container or jar and dip each hot dog into batter, swirling to coat fully. Remove battered hot dog, letting excess batter drip off.
- Immediately place hot dog in hot oil and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until each side is golden. Remove cooked hot dogs from oil and let drain on paper towels for at least 5 minutes. Serve with your choice of garnishes.