- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
An inventive take on a traditional Latin preparation of fish cooked by the acid of a citrus marinade, this sweet ceviche features mango, ginger, vanilla and citrus. Chef Flores recommends spooning it over chocolate cake or ice cream.
Recipe credit: Dulce: Desserts in the Latin-American Tradition by Joseluis Flores, Rizzoli, New York, 2010.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
- Peel of 1 lemon, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 large, firm mangoes
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups water, sugar, vanilla bean (and seeds), lemon peel, and ginger to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Add lemon juice and pour syrup through a fine sieve into a clean bowl.
- Peel mangoes, slice them very thinly or into long strips, and add them to the infused sugar syrup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.